Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Grandpa Ward

My brother called me Tuesday night while I was teaching class. I looked to see who it was and first thought I would let the voice mail get it, but then decided to pick it up. I'm glad I did, but feel a bit embarrassed for my class. I don't think they knew how to deal with Miss Tori crying. But Jared told me that my grandpa had died. Try holding back tears when a man you love and admire has just passed away. Right at this moment I wish I lived closer to the rest of my family. It would be very nice to cry with the rest of them instead of by myself.
My favorite memories are the camping ones. I want to tell my parents thank you for all the time we were able to spend with our grandparents growing up. Those memories are priceless. I LOVED when grandpa would let us a ride a tree. Who can say they've had that experience.
Like my sister said, he was a big, strong man. Biggest guy I knew. Biggest heart too. He loved his family very much and was very proud of each of their accomplishments. He knew about your life and wanted to make sure everything was still going well. He'd even add his own story to relate. :)
I can't remember which grade it was, but in elementary school, Grandpa came to my class one year to talk about the war. I thought it was the coolest thing! I was so proud. I will never forget when he started taking about the concentration camps and the things he saw there. He cried a bit and I cried right along with him.
I can remember fishing with Grandpa, huckleberrying, walking through the leaves, and so many more adventures. I loved him very much and will miss him even more.
I think of my sweet grandma and pray that she will be alright.
I am so thankful to be a part of the Arlo Ward legacy.
This picture was taken at Easter in 2007.

3 comments:

garrett said...

Wish you were here, too! I think it's great that most of us remember all the camping and outdoors stuff with grandpa. And riding a tree. I love the picture, too.

Hayley said...

wow beautiful post, tori!

i love that picture of him sitting on the fence.

em said...

I really wish you were here too.