Monday, July 28, 2008

Wellington Pioneer Days

Happy 24th of July to you all!  I hope you had a good one.  I'm kicking myself because I didn't watch the parade Thursday morning.  I know, what's wrong with me?  I've watched that parade for as long as I can remember, I've even been in the thing twice.  I must not love my beautiful state or Garth must have had the day off and having him home in the morning threw me off.  Which ever it is, ( I'm going with choice #2) I'm sad I missed the parade.  To those of you who watched it, what did I miss?  We did do fireworks at the house that night with Jana and Casey and their family.  I kept some traditions alive at least.
           Casey, Jana & Harley, Payton, Taylor, Nati, Rylie, & Camryn
Wellington celebrated their Pioneer Days this weekend.  It's a fun celebration our little town puts on.  The festivities began Friday, but we didn't get involved until Saturday.  Saturday started with a parade down Main Street (aka hwy. 6, that can't be fun for officers to shut down a busy state highway for 30 minutes).  Most of the Wellington Wards put a float in the parade, the 1st ward was absent this year, someone needs to talk the primary presidency about that one :), but there were a few other local floats;  the little league baseball teams, local politicians, a few family floats, high school cheerleaders,  you get the picture, a small town parade.  The girls made out like bandits with a basket full of candy.  Gotta love a small town parade.
After the parade, we snuck into the church (perks of knowing someone with a key) and the girls changed into their dance costumes.  The studio performed in the park after the parade.  Summer performances are like playing a game of chance, you never know what your going to get.  Well, I sent out a note that had 6 classes performing.  Of those 6 classes, I had 4 dance.  One of the classes had only one girl show up.  She was brave and did a solo.  Rylie's class is quite large, I had 5 girls that were able to make it, Taylor's class has 8 in it, 3 girls came, but that's how it goes in the summer, especially on a holiday weekend.  Even with small numbers, the girls did a great job.  I was very proud of all of them.  
After the performance, we went back over to the church, changed clothes, and headed back over to the park.  Shameless advertising on my part, all of my girls, including myself, were wearing Dance Technica t-shirts. :)  One side of the park is full of free stuff for the kids to do.  It's great.  Taylor and Rylie spent most of their time on one of those huge blow up things, while Camryn went three times on the swings.  




  Garth even played one of the games.  I'll have you know my big strong husband hit that thing all the way to the top - twice!  He even won a little stuffed frog for his manly efforts. :)
The girls and Garth also went on the train that goes around the baseball diamond.  It was pretty cute to watch Camryn.  She stood on Garth's lap most of the ride with her hands up in the air.

Before we left, we bought some home made root beer from the Utah Daughters of Pioneers and also a pan of the most delicious peanut-butter chocolate brownies.  Yum!!!!  We finished off the day with working in the basement (don't get too excited, we just moved things around and threw out a lot of stuff so when we get real serious, things will be out of the way), a baptism, and a wedding reception.
We had a busy, but very nice holiday weekend.  I hope you did too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, You should really talk to that primary presidency in Wellington 1st ward. They really dropped the ball. The fact that you were the only one in town that weekend has nothing to do with the fact that we decided not to do it this year. Maybe next year you'll have it together enough to make sure it happens:) Your so funny!! You got a good laugh out of me and now have me blogging. It looks like you had a great day!